Tuesday, September 25, 2007

HeX liveCD: Virtual Appliance

I started to have this idea after conducting the security training with Spoonfork in HITB Security Conference lately, we have created the VMware Image by installing HeX on top of it. However the image is only available to the people who have attended our training only as it also contains interesting pcaps that I have collected during my past network security operation.

I would like to create the platform which network security analyzt can perform network data analysis during network security operation. The HeX liveCD itself is great choice to do so but I believe some folks out there prefer it to be readily installed and can load the network data(pcap format) instantly. However if I have to create the HeX Virtual Appliance, the main issue would be the distribution because of its image size(Gigs). Hence I have thought of few ways to solve it -

- Distribute through p2p networks - bittorrent?

- Getting more download mirrors? Shout to enhancer!!!!!

- Getting support from http://www.vmware.com/appliances/

I'm not too sured creating HeX Virtual Appliance worth the efforts, and I would like to hear from you - the HeX users out there.

Cheers ;]

No comments: